Richmond Open Day 3 wasn't exactly just a day since a rain delay split up the match between Monday and Tuesday.
I met my opponent Wesmond for the first time in over a
year - we used to both play in Steveston but recently he was affected by
an illness that seriously impaired his balance. Luckily it has mostly subsided, and he was finally able to play tennis again.
My
match against Wesmond was my second time ever playing a seeded player
(after my 2-6 4-6 disaster against Rick) and a win against a red player would have
made my run through 3.5 more meaningful. As usual, I bombed my warm-up
but served and hit surprisingly well during the first set. I felt I had
to put on an especially good show due to a group of my friends spectating the match, and didn't let up on my strokes. I
raced to a 4-0 lead before Wes finally found his rhythm and stood his
ground with a hold. I held for one more game, and Wes stepped up his play
to take the next three games and bring the set to 5-4. The light drizzle turned
into heavy rain at the start of the 5-4 and I sensed Wes's
urgency to to get off the court. I hit 4 good serves in a row to take the first set, although I feel my opponent wouldn't have let me off so easily if it wasn't raining.
I
returned to Richmond Tennis Club the next day a bit relieved that the
rain stopped Wes's momentum. I found my forehand was working
spectacularly during warmup, and started the second set in a very calm
state. I was shocked then, to lose the first 10 points of the set
despite not making any significant mistakes. I tried to salvage the rest
of the set, but Wes had already built up his confidence. Anything I hit to
his backhand he returned with a sharper angle or a ridiculously low
slice, and he was changing direction extremely easily on his forehand.
In a mirror replay of the first set, Wes staged a 4-0 lead, but unlike
the first set, I wasn't able to threaten a comeback and lost the set
2-6.
In the last few games of the second set, I stopped smiling and began to focus on hitting the ball properly. My concentration yielded better results as I split breaks and holds with Wes from the end of set 2 to the start of set 3. After losing another return game to Wes to trail 1-2, I somehow stepped up my game another gear. I'm not sure what exactly it was that clicked, but I felt my resolve strengthen and I realized that I was not going to lose this match. My serve suddenly became unreturnable and I was able to blast all the balls from my forehand wing, both high and low. In a symmetric finish to the start of the second set, I won 5 games straight to take the match. That last half of the match embodied the high that I play tennis for, and my goal is to be able to summon it for at least two sets in every tournament I play.
No comments:
Post a Comment