Today was my second full day in Japan and it feels like I have been here for a week already. The incredible culture and many quirky nuances in everyday life make me feel like I am constantly learning something new, and I feel this Japan trip has almost been overwhelming in terms of experiences and reflections.
Where to begin?
I first ventured into Tokyo on the train from Narita airport at about 9:00pm and upon stepping out into the crisp night air, I was astounded how similar to Vancouver that Tokyo appeared. The temperature was exactly what I would expect in Vancouver, and there was even traces of snow-ice left over from the previous night. The skies were clear and the air lacked the humidity found in Hong Kong and Guang Zhou. Lastly, even though I was in central Tokyo, the streets were relatively spacious and the view was quite unlike the skyscraper-dominated landscape of Hong Kong.
After interacting with my friend Hiroya's family, as well as various people on the street and in shops, I was greatly impressed by the service and humility of the Japanese. Japanese culture is built on a foundation of respect and hierarchy cultivated through thousands of years, and this clearly shows in the interactions between shopkeeper and customer, hostess and guest. I also find the fashions of the Japanese to be the most diverse of any country I have visited. They have developed some styles that are truly unique - the flamboyant, casual, and professional are mixed well and this leads to many outfits that warrant a double-take.
The application of technology here is also very different. A few examples include:
- Electric toilets that clean you as you do your business
- Electric mattresses to combat the freezing temperatures of winter
- Vending machines that disperse meal tickets for you to take into a restaurant (so you don't have to flag down a server later)
- Heat packs you apply on your body before you go outside
Yesterday I roamed mostly on my own through the Ueno and Asaksa districts. I tried to get the obligatory museums and cultural places out of the way, while Hiroya was at school. Although I do not find art and culture extremely interesting, I enjoyed wandering and taking as many artistic photos as I could. I also dined in Japanese cafe for lunch where for the price of $2 you can order an appetizer and get as many glasses of soft drinks/juice as you want. I met with Hiroya and two of his friends in the evening for some real Japanese sushi, and while the portions were not particularly large, I did try a lot of meats not commonly available in Vancouver: whale, horse, supremely fatty sashimi. Wasabi in Japan comes squeezed in the sushi itself, which was a small difference that I almost forgot about before eating. We went afterwards to Donkihote, a department store known for selling unusual novelties. Aside from viewing the 18+ section (where the majority of the dirty jokes were made), I was amused to find that Shakeweight is attempting to build itself into Japan's next workout sensation.
Today I followed Aji, one of Hiroya's friends from the previous night, to Yokamoto, one of the newer districts in greater Tokyo. The highlight of that area was definitely the Cup Noodle museum, which while unassuming on the outside, housed a Noodle Factory (where you create and customize your own of cup of instant noodles), a Noodle Bazaar (food court with ramen/noodles from 8 different countries), a Noodle playground (for young kids to play in a noodle-themed playground), as well as noodle history exhibits, and optical illusions with prominent noodle themes. Only in Japan...
Dinner took place at Enoshima, in a seafood restaurant two trains away from the already-far Yokamoto. Enoshima is right beside the ocean, and features an incredible view of the mountain ranges as well as Mount Fuji in the background. Aji and I were lucky to arrive right before sunset to catch the sun dip below the mountains and fade away. Hiroya later joined for dinner, and we decided to visit a hot spring on the way home. Japanese hot springs are most different from their North American equivalents in one key area: everyone gets buck-naked. I got over the nudity relatively quickly and quite enjoyed the experience overall. The outdoor springs were by far the most satisfying - when your lower body is submerged, you feel you are just exuding heat everywhere on your body, and you are completely immune to the 0 degree wind attacking your torso. The spring experience, and the accompanying sauna, exhausted me for reasons I still do not understand, and I am glad that I am back in bed over an electric mattress ready to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment